- Definition: Designates ? among other things - a tuft of feathers on top of the head of certain birds.
Detail of The Owl by Kenojuak Ashevak
© West Baffin Eskimo Co-operative Ltd.
- Definition: Mother tongue of about 18,500 Inuit. It is the language spoken by the majority of Nunavut?s inhabitants.
A selection of a few Inuktitut characters
- Definition: Transformation, change of a form into another.
- Definition: Nunavik is the province of Quebec's arctic region. A vast territory lying north of the 55th parallel; bordered by Hudson Bay to the west, Hudson Strait to the north and Ungava Bay and Labrador to the east.
Map Courtesy of Makivik Corporation. Nunavik Research Center.
- Definition: The ptarmigan resemble a grouse. This northern bird is well suited to its environment, e.g. nostrils are hidden by feathers, body feathers have a long, downy aftershaft that increases insulation, and toes are feathered. Ptarmigan have a snow-white winter plumage. Summer plumage is mottled brown.
Canadian Wildlife Service
Reproduced with permission of the Minister of Public Works and Government Services Canada, 2003
- Definition: Inuktitut word: a large dome-shaped snowhouse where meetings or group celebrations are held.
Igloo, Fullerton, N.W.T.
Moodie, J.D. / National Archives of Canada / C-001827
- Definition: Inuktitut word: a sled with two runners. This word is the plural of qamuti (a runner).
- Definition: A tomb or burial place.
- Definition: The Inuit term umiak is an open boat, with a wooden frame with a covering of bearded seal or walrus hide. Although comparatively light, it could transport up to thirty people and several tonnes of goods.
1905-1915, 20th century
Sealkin, wood, sinew, cotton thread
14.7 x 13.8 x 73.6 cm
Gift of Mrs. LeMans
© McCord Museum